Top 10 Most Healing Foods
What are the Top 10 Healing Foods? I have some favorites, and now you can make them your favorites, also.
1. Whole Grains- They are low in fat and high in fiber.
Whole Grains are Low in Fat and High in Fiber. Don't pass them up!
2. Another favorite healing food is Fish- eat fish (broiled, baked, grilled-avoid fried) at least three times a week.
Why is fish a healing food? It is all about the FAT!
3. Walnuts and Almonds-These might be high in calories, but they're packed with nutrients. Moderation needs to be the word of the day with regard to nuts. Nuts are naturally cholesterol free and studies tell us that they help to lower our 'bad' cholesterol. This is why they made the list of the most healing foods.
Click here to learn the good, the bad and the ugly about cholesterol.
4. A wonderful protein source are legumes. Legumes are your dried beans, peas and lentils. Animal protein can really drive your cholesterol up and too much cholesterol in the blood can lead to heart disease and stroke. Protein is so important to our bodies and plant protein is a healing food.
Why protein and can I still have my steak?
5. Soy is a top healing food and a good source of fiber and protein. Some research has shown that it is beneficial for symptoms of menopause and also to prevent some cancers. Other research hasn't been quite so favorable. Either way, soy in moderation is a good source of important nutrients. If you've had or have or are at high risk for breast cancer, be sure to eat soy in moderation. Soy has phytochemicals (plant based natural chemicals) that may have a weak estrogen activity. Studies haven't been able to tellus if this really a risk or not, but once again, moderation is key.
6. There is a lot of talk about fat. This is because a diet high in fat can not only make us over-weight, but it can cause a whole host of life-threatening conditions. Go ahead and choose fat free or low fat dairy products because dairy products are good sources of calcium and vitamin D. Calcium may help to prevent osteoporosis, high blood pressure, stroke, colon cancer and obesity. More research is needed, but we do know it is important and this is how fat free or low fat dairy products made the top 10 most healing foods list.
7. Berries! Berries are a natural source of fructose (so they're sweet and most of us like that!) and they carry a punch with flavanoids. Flavanoids give your nitric oxide a boost and nitric oxide is required to help keep the blood flowing smoothly in our veins and arteries. Berries are also very rich in antioxidants. Choose organic whenever possible due to the high pestacides in non-organically grown berries. I really like goji juice. You can also purchase goji berries, but they're not readily available for most of us. I drink the juice twice a day, and when I miss a few times, I can really feel a difference in my energy level.
Berries and others are healing foods because of their antioxidant benefits. What other foods are antioxidants?
8. Broccoli and cauliflower-I love these veggies. They're part of the cruciferous vegetable family and are related to brussels sprouts, bok choy and kale. These veggies are high in fiber, have no cholesterol and are low in fat and calories. They're filling, though, and packed with vitamins and nutrients. Steam them lightly so they're still crisp, but easier to digest.
9. Tomatoes! Tomatoes should be #1 for me. I love them. It's a good thing I'm so crazy about them because they're got vitamin C and B complex, iron and potassium. They've got the antioxidant lycopene. This is supposed to be helpful to prevent prostate troubles for men. Adding a touch of olive oil even makes them better for you. The olive oil helps to release some of the nutrients for you to use.
Can tomatoes and other relatives be a fountain of youth?
10. Green tea-Many really tout the benefits of green tea as a major source of phytochemicals (healing important naturally occuring chemicals in plants) that can help lower the risk of many diseases. Therefore, it helps to keep you healthy! Choose an organic green tea. Watch out if you add milk, though. Some studies show that adding milk negates some of the benefits.
Disclaimer: Material provided on Naturally-Holistic.net website is provided for educational purposes only. It is not intended to treat, diagnose, cure, or prevent any disease. Always take the advice of your health care provider before undertaking any diet, exercise, or other health program. We will not be liable for any complications, or other medical accidents arising from the use of any information on this web site.